Review
of Google Sites as a platform Class portal
------------------------------------------------------------
2.1
Purpose: the intended purpose for
Google Sites (which is a Software as a Service platform from Google Inc) is to
host the class portal.
2.2
Example: Here is one of the class portal that I hosted
on google sites in 2010:
https://sites.google.com/site/cseduos/
2.4
[Disclaimer: I donot have any association with Google INC.
I am just reviewing Google sites as I have used it extensively in my teaching
since 2008. ]
2.5
Google sites (https://sites.google.com/)
is a software as a service provided by Google Inc for hosting and managing web
portals. It is free for use for up to 100 MB storage of contents. I have used
it since 2008 as a class portal for distributing lecture slides, reading
materials, sharing links for audio-video content, assignments and practical lab
worksheet distribution. Google sites has the option to control who can access
the site and monitor access patterns through linking the site through google
analytics.
The reason I used google sites for my
classes instead of the institutional web hosting portals is that it allows me
to be in charge of my content so that I can own it and keep the materials even
after I finished the semester. I was able to easily copy the site to another
google site page for the next run of the same course very easily and it allowed
me to modify and improve the contents gradually. Moreover, I could seamlessly share
the contents with my learners to access from anywhere and anytime.
Google sites is easy to ease, secure,
customizable and scalable. However, it is part of Google’s advertising network
and it is hard to know how google uses the collected user access data from this
site. On the other hand, it is a great solution for many institutions who do
not have the resources for hosting their own class portals. In many cases, the
availability of the institutional sites becomes an issue due to security and
other logistic issues (e.g. power, poor Internet connectivity). Google sites does
not have this problem. The security is really well monitored by google. I
remember in one case, I was using google sites for my level 7 security course
where I provided many links to hacking tools with tutorials for teaching and
learning purposes on google sites. It was discovered by google and they blocked
my site as those tutorials can be used by people with malicious intentions and
must not be available for public. So, I changed the site access from public to
private. This is indeed a great example where google did help me to be a good
citizen.
It is also quite straightforward to link
google sites with other google tools like google class room (which has
capabilities like Moodle where students can submit their assignments, get their
grades back etc), google docs for collaborative work. In fact, David Denton (Denton,
2012) has argued about the benefit of such cloud based Software as a Service
platforms for enhancing instructions. In another research ( Nevin, 2009), it
was illustrated how google apps significantly improved the way students and
teachers work at Adam Scott College and Vocational Institute, Peterborough,
Canada.
2.3
References
---------------------
Denton, D. W. (2012).
Enhancing instruction through constructivism, cooperative learning, and cloud
computing. TechTrends, 56(4), 34-41.
Nevin, R. (2009). Supporting
21st century learning through Google Apps. Teacher Librarian, 37(2),
35.
https://hasansf.blogspot.com/2021/02/google-sites-as-platform-for-class.html
Comments
Post a Comment