Task 4 Assess your learning as a reflective digital online learner

I have been using the Internet on regular basis since 1995 and throughout this long time I have witnessed the transformation of the Internet from a computer network for sharing information to one of the biggest business and collaboration platforms. However, I have never been exposed to a formal approach to learn about the different skill sets for digital literacy.

Evaluation:

Good: Although I was familiar with most of topics like, digital citizenship, online identity and societal issues on the internet, I have been able to enhance my understanding at a deeper level through watching some of the excellent videos and reference papers. For example, the video titled “Rethinking Learning: the 21st century Learner” provides important insights about the gamers and their preference to get measured while they are learning, was eye opening to me. I have a different perspective about why some of my learners are quite keen on getting instant feedbacks on assessments.

Bad: it is important to know the open source tools that are available as an alternative to the commercial ones, but occasionally some of the tools (e.g OURu bookmarks) were not responding properly.

Analysis:. After going through the course materials and doing the research I can redefine digital citizenship in a way that is more applicable to tertiary context  “digital citizenship is about having equitable access to online resources, awareness and commitment to customer data while doing digital commerce, expressing ideas online responsibly, understanding technology and its usage to fact check information posted online, being aware of the laws protecting citizens from digital harms and protecting oneself from security and privacy issues.”

Conclusion: I have learned a lot through doing research in my learning journey.  Getting a formal orientation to the topics of Digital citizenship was enlightening. In addition to that I was fascinated to

Plans: In the future I want to write more blog posts about my thoughts on developing effective measures to resist the negative impact of social media through improving everyone’s digital citizenship. I want to continue my learning more about digital citizenship, in particular about the rights and responsibilities of individuals. I would like to investigate how rights and responsibilities on online learning differs from the traditional tertiary learning. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog